Major places in Saint-Avold

CHAPEL OF THE COUNTS OF CREHANGE

Hôtel de Paris – 45 rue Hirschauer

Former house belonging to the Créhange family and used by the bishops of Metz and the counts of Nassau-Sarrebruck, this flamboyant, gothic style chapel (rib vault in a star, liernes and tiercerons) was built in the 16thcentury.

The keystones bear the arms of the House of Créhange and the Mansfeld family. Home in turn to a skittle alley, a shelter during the last war then a provisions cellar, it was restored in 1986 and classified as a Historic Monument.

Open from 7.30am to 12pm and 2pm to 6pm, except Monday mornings.

SAINTE-CROIX CHAPEL

Rue Mangin

This flamboyant, gothic style chapel dates from the late 15th century and is the oldest monument in Saint-Avold. A centre for worship until the mid-18th century, it was maintained by a hermit. A significant decline in popular devotion was felt during the second half of the 19th century and with its furniture sold, the chapel was abandoned.

In 1966, the Town became the building’s owner and restored it. Its facade is decorated with a splendid 16th century cross. Below the chapel, a magnificent Way of the Cross created in the 17th century adorned the wall. The church is registered on the additional list of Historical Monuments. Outside visit only.

NOTRE-DAME DE BON SECOURS BASILICA

Rue Lemire

A modest chapel, already dedicated to the Madonna was built in the 16th century and was rebuilt following Vauban’s plans at the end of the 17th century. The place became famous and the believers flocked from all over France. Destroyed during the Revolution, the chapel was then spontaneously rebuilt by the town’s inhabitants and quickly became too small. In 1890, the archpriest Georges-Auguste Lemire agreed to the construction of a vast place for prayer, completed in 1897 by an imposing octagonal building topped by a magnificent dome. The shrine was raised to the status of “minor basilica” on 13thAugust 1932 by pope Pius XI.

There is a stained glass window by Arthur Schouler, a master-glassartist from Saint Nabor, in the crypt. On the facade, sits the statue of Hope which comes from a portal of the Metz cathedral. Next to the building : the Notre-Dame hostel, a welcoming venue for many pilgrims along with the funeral chapel of Vicar Lemire.
Open daily from 7.30am to 8pm.

PROTESTANT CHURCH

Rue des Anglais

This sober, elegant neo-gothic style building created from plans by the architect Wahn, welcomes parishioners from the Lutheran Church of the Confession of Augsbourg, Alsace and Moselle. It was opened in 1889. Noted for its acoustics which result from its nave ceiling which is shaped like an overturned boat. Outside visit only.

SYNAGOGUE


Rue de la Mertzelle

A modern building constructed in 1956 following the plans of the architect Zonka from Metz. The avant-garde cubic shape is completely covered in stars of David.

Outside visit only.