Fountains in Saint-Avold

FOUNTAINS IN SAINT-AVOLD

SAINT JEAN NEPOMUCENE FOUNTAIN 

 

Rue Hirschauer 

 

Built in 1714 by the master mason Melchior Spinga, this fountain with its hexagonal basin and rounded baluster is decorated with the statue of Saint Jean Népomucène, the protector against the dangers of water who was originally from Bohemia.

ST NABOR FOUNTAIN

 

Place de la Victoire

On this square a beautiful collection of 18th century houses next to a building featuring German neo-gothic architecture (1898) surround the Saint-Nabor fountain (1714) overlooked by a statue of the town’s patron saint.

SAINTE MARIE FOUNTAIN

 

Rue Poincaré

 

Built in 1714 to replace the fountain erected in 1313 by the Abbot Jean, this rustic fountain is topped with a finely embossed cross of Lorraine. The facade which it leans against bears in a niche a Seated Madonna created in 1986 by Helmuth Muller (1910-1989), a local artist. This replaces the original 15th century statue, which was stolen in 1973.

 JEAN MELLING FOUNTAIN

 

28, rue des Américains

 

This was built in 1744 by Jean Melling, a famous sculptor from Saint-Avold (1678-1748). A monument with simple lines decorated with a lion’s mouth. The building that now houses the Tourist Office was built in 1732. The Town Hall was located here until 1917.

You can also see :

THE WALLACE FOUNTAIN

 

Rue des Américains

 

 PAUL COLLIN FOUNTAIN

 

Place Paul Collin

THE “BONNE FONTAINE”